Go Back   BigEvil Online > BigEvilOnline Forums > Marker Gallery
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Marker Gallery Pics of your awesome gats.

Old 02-10-2015, 03:14 PM
Contributing Member

Default Cyborg RX Re-hab

This is a tale of three w's: wow, woe, and woah!

I purchased my Cyborg RX a long time ago after moving from California. It was my first "high end" marker purchase and I did a lot of looking around for something different. I bought it for ~$400, which was a great price at the time. It came to me in dust grey with a gloss blue bolt cover and a gloss black CP HPR.

Wow: As soon as I powered it up and shot it, I really liked it and was blown away by the ease which it shot.

But I started to nitpick at it and wanted to clean it up a bit. I wanted to get a matching Gladiator reg and see if I might be able to trade someone on PBN for some pieces to swap. I got the reg, but no dice on parts swap. It was then I noticed that the ano and some other pieces were pretty chewed up. some places it even looked like it was just flaking off:

So I resolved to get this refinished at some point. I am not a gun whore (said all gun whores at the beginning) and I was going to be keeping it for a while. Yet, ano was really expensive for what I wanted to do, so I was looking for an alternative.

This was when I discovered Cerakoting. You may recall VoodooCoatings and the threads he was running on AO and MCB. I took a hard look at it and I really liked how it could stand up to the elements and abuse. I even saw some of the markers he did (I think there was a black and olive green Ego that came out really nice) and I wanted to do that as a cost efficient option. After much hemming and hawing (I'm horrible at picking out schemes), I settled on a slate blue with black accents. Then Voodoo started to get squirrelly and lots of people were getting annoyed with how long it was taking to finish projects. I was in the backlog and I resolved to be patient. I had some stuff for my T2 done by him and they came out great.

Woe: I went over and over the color option with him and sent him some pictures of cars with the color I wanted, and he said he had it. Well, this is what I got:

Which is okay, but when I took it outside in the sunlight...

Not the color blue I wanted. Then I started to notice a couple of annoyances with tolerances. I guess I didn't count on that for pieces that were meant to fit close, yet swivel on... such as the back cap where the drive train all fits. with the Cerakote on, I now needed a hex key to take that out. One of the things I loved about the RX was the tool-less design and now I lost that.

So now I was stuck with a gun that I hated the color on (let the record show that I did like the black), and some of the features I liked were now gone. Voodoo was not taking any new orders, was incommunicado, and I didn't trust getting my marker back in the next year. So I thought, "Screw it. Just get it stripped and send it to someone for ano." I was pissed.

Well, I then learned a hard lesson with doing business with people who are not paintball people: you cannot assume anything. When I say they stripped the gun, they stripped everything by bead blasting (which is the only way to remove Cerakote), including the internals of the body and reg.

"Okay, I guess that's part of the process for anodizing anyway, so lets get a quote from Caustic." Stephen is great, and he was honest with me saying that the parts were over stripped and would take extensive polishing even to bring them to a point where he could put a dust finish on it. The price he quoted me was more than the gun was worth. Now I really disappointed. So I resolved to just taking it out from time to time and work on polishing the parts myself until they get to a decent finish.

2 years go by...

Then I start reading up on Carl Jr's thread on Hydrodipping. It was something that I was playing around with, but didn't sound like the alternative I wanted for longevity. But, seeing some of the work Carl did on some other guns, my newly acquired Axe included... well, I didn't have anything to lose. Just pick a pattern and send it in to him. So some of you have seen this in a couple of places but...

Woah:

So Happy Birthday to me, now she lives!

http://i411.photobucket.com/albums/p...ps4t9jveno.mp4

BigEvil dubbed it the "Pabst Blue Ribbon" gun saying it was a redneck RX. Although, there is one more loose end to wrap up with the board. The RX and VX boards of old had issues with frying the OLED screens. I had bought a new one in the 2 years that I didn't use it, but even that one doesn't work. So, looking at a LED conversion that Tadao offered. While I was away at work last time, Macdev offered a turn in program to upgrade to the GTi board, but I missed it and the program was discontinued. Oh, well... just like I had missed out on the X-valve turn in.

So to Carl, now you see why I was sending you all those pix from earlier. I was really excited to see this finally come to an end.

Last edited by Zondo; 02-10-2015 at 03:25 PM..
Old 02-10-2015, 03:27 PM
Contributing Member

That came out great. Nice save.

Theres a guy on facebook selling an entire gti upgrade kit for 190. You might be able to buy a kit and then sell off the non board stuff.
Old 02-10-2015, 03:44 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Spank View Post
That came out great. Nice save.

Theres a guy on facebook selling an entire gti upgrade kit for 190. You might be able to buy a kit and then sell off the non board stuff.
I just sent him a message. Go figure the King of SOCAL knows that guy too.
Old 02-10-2015, 04:26 PM
Benevolent Dictator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zondo View Post
I just sent him a message. Go figure the King of SOCAL knows that guy too.

The king doesn't visit us peasants too often anymore

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
its a joke that he is called the Mag Whisperer, till he fixes the unfixable and hands you a gun that sings, screams and does everything you wanted it to be, and then the name is well earned.
Old 02-10-2015, 10:16 PM
Contributing Member

Glad I could help out in this whole situation. I didn't realize all the issues that were leading up to getting it dipped.
"I love it when you hate someone. It brings out the scholar in you." diOs
Old 02-12-2015, 09:03 AM
Benevolent Dictator

It amazes me how they get the dip to wrap around different shapes.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
its a joke that he is called the Mag Whisperer, till he fixes the unfixable and hands you a gun that sings, screams and does everything you wanted it to be, and then the name is well earned.
Old 02-12-2015, 11:12 AM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEvil View Post
It amazes me how they get the dip to wrap around different shapes.
I have to take a close up pic of some of the individual pieces. I think I counted upwards of 20 some pieces when I was looking to have it anodized. Only one doesn't really match up to the rest, but that's because I didn't realize the effect of the internals on its alignment, but dry fit it and it works out amazing on such a small piece.

The bolt cover is pretty cool the way they did it. They cut a shape out and got it to stick on the cover so tolerances wouldn't be a factor where it contacts the body and the exposed portion matches the camo.
Old 02-12-2015, 03:34 PM
Fat Balla

wow, i really dig that pattern. looks slick

Old 02-13-2015, 03:05 PM
Benevolent Dictator

Im going to drop a gun off to get done too I hate not being part of the in crowd

Quote:
Old 02-13-2015, 03:16 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigEvil View Post
Im going to drop a gun off to get done too I hate not being part of the in crowd
Which one in which pattern? or is it going to be a surprise?