Go Back   BigEvil Online > BigEvilOnline Forums > Paintball Talk
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Paintball Talk Live and die Paintball

Old 10-15-2014, 06:56 AM
Contributing Member

Paintball has reached a technology plateau. I sincerely believe that paintball technology wise to fast over the time from the games development. To me we should just be getting into electronics now, I am not a fan that any kid can go get a marker that can shoot 16+ balls a second used for under $100 with out ever stepping on the field. This is why I think there is a huge push from players on magfed and woodsball as a whole. New players don't want to get shot that much. Moms and dads are paranoid that their little baby will get hurt and watching videos of tournament paintball on YouTube I can see their paranoia.

Other issue with technology growing to fast is that there is no where to go from here. Guns have become the same thing just different milling and it is only the manufacturer to blame. All of the companies were looking at the sales now and not the long term of a company. Dye is the perfect example of this, change the milling every year and claim something else is different but to me they all shoot like a DM7, great shooting gun but why a new one every year. Planet eclipse did the same thing for a few years and it seems like empire is going to follow suit with the vanquish. No real innovation just change the milling and sell it now who cares about next year.
"I love it when you hate someone. It brings out the scholar in you." diOs
Old 10-15-2014, 07:00 AM
Contributing Member

I should add that the hobby of paintball in the woods is growing. More new players are coming everyday since paintball is now more widely known as a safe thing to do to most people. The biggest difference is now paintball is seen as something to do for birthday parties, bachelor parties, or company outings. Hell every summer I am packed with day camps, so the hobby or activity of paintball is still going up. The sport (tournament) I believe has plataued.
"I love it when you hate someone. It brings out the scholar in you." diOs
Old 10-15-2014, 10:28 AM
Quad Violation Porking Everyone.

The reality of the paintball scene is there is only X amount of potential players at any given time. Sure new people come constantly, but at the same time other people leave, either through burn out, or life situation changes. The one good thing about this hobby is, some of the people who quit will come back later, as most paintball guns don't have a use by date. Those people will be digging around in their closet find a gun, and have their interest sparked anew. I personally have quit playing numerous times over the last twenty years, due to one reason or another, but came back when the mood struck me.

The Pro tournament thing was in many ways, dead on arrival. Paintball is a fun hobby, but the profit levels to make it something that will be on broadcast TV every Sunday afternoon are just not there. Face it paintball sucks as a spectator sport, especially so for those that do not participate.

Tens yeas ago at any field or forum, you could find plenty of tournament style kids proclaiming that they were going to be paintball pros for a living, because it was a fast growing extreme sport.
They looked at the pro salaries of other sports like football and thought, well our thing is growing fast, so pretty soon we will be able to get that kind of pay too.

The reality of other professional sports with much larger followings and participation, is those million dollar salaries didn't happen over night. Early professional football players had day jobs and played just because it was fun. Sound familiar? It should, as there is only so much room in paintball for a manufacturers like Simon, or field owners like CarlSr and CarlJr and a handful of others to make an exclusive living based on the paintball hobby.

Sure there are a few conglomerates that have taken over for good or bad in the paintball hobby world. The good side to this is there is now plenty of usable off the shelf equipment for a relatively cheap price, that works out of the box. The bad, the market is saturated with semi disposable stuff that has little resale.

Enjoy the plateau, as it still fun to shoot your buddies with a paintball, laugh about it, and do it again.

Last edited by pillage; 10-15-2014 at 10:34 AM..