Go Back   BigEvil Online > BigEvilOnline Forums > BEO - Tech Department
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

BEO - Tech Department Discuss anything tech related - projects, mods, questions and troubleshooting.

Old 02-05-2016, 12:26 AM
Contributing Member

Default Dremel

Yo. Never used a dremel before but I'm gonna buy one to do the dye UL frame mod. I have the mcb post on how to do it. Anything i need to know when using a dremel? Tips tricks or techniques? I'm especially worried about fucking up the trigger guard as i grind that down.
Old 02-05-2016, 06:50 AM
Benevolent Dictator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Spank View Post
Yo. Never used a dremel before but I'm gonna buy one to do the dye UL frame mod. I have the mcb post on how to do it. Anything i need to know when using a dremel? Tips tricks or techniques? I'm especially worried about fucking up the trigger guard as i grind that down.

ugh.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
its a joke that he is called the Mag Whisperer, till he fixes the unfixable and hands you a gun that sings, screams and does everything you wanted it to be, and then the name is well earned.
Old 02-05-2016, 11:10 AM
Quad Violation Porking Everyone.

Well if you fuck up the trigger guard I can always weld on a new one for you.

”A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don’t have one, you’ll probably never need one again.”

It is called "The Bill Of Rights," " Not the Bill Of Needs."

Old 02-06-2016, 12:11 AM

Yes, i can give you some tips.

Get a shitty frame that you do not care about and hack it up. Make as many practice cuts as you want and learn through experience. You will go through cutting blades.

You will also get vibration hands, as the longer it takes you to do a cut, the longer that you are running a dremel. Do short bursts, if need be, but i am talking about 20+min of dremel time in one shot.

Also, aluminium gets hot, cause you are causing friction. Have a tube or something that you can dunk the frame into water.

Make sure you know the direction of the blade and cut away from you.

Aluminium dust gets everywhere.

-more to come-

Aluminium is a soft metal. You do not need to grind it down, a good sander drum will take off aluminium easier and slower, so you can check the clearance on the frame.

Unfamiliar with the mod or what it entails, but i am thinking more of clearing out material versus cutting away. This is tricky. Depending on the choice of head you'll use, you can have it dance/wonder if you dont have a good grip on the frame or the dremel. This is especially prevalent when you are coming in at an angle and you have a flat surface. The speed of the dremel is also important, both in how fast you cut, but also control. Again, practice. If you don't have a frame to play with, i have a trashed one, you can have. Remind me & i will send it to you.

The faster the dremel spins, the more potential metal could be cut away. As well as the more aggressive the cutting head, the more metal it will eat. But, the more metal it eats, the quicker you come to the tolerances of the mod. So you will have to check frequently on fit. Remember, you can not put back cut metal.

If, this is for a one time use, then do you really need a dremel? If you want to spend $100(don't know what a new one costs, the bits do run $5 or so & you won't just use one), then be my guest. Yes, DIY and a feather in your cap is really nice, but if you aren necessarily going to look at the dremel as a investment, then that money could be better used elsewhere, IMHO. I could do the work, Pillage and if you want a professional dremel work, i can talk to chplnstn about it. He dremels 99% of all the guns he makes(but its brass and it cuts very easily).

So think about it. Then think about the bad(cutting yourself, ruining the part, the e tra money spent for a one-time project). Think about the good(around the house use, your own DIY projects, and whatever else) and do get back to us.

Last edited by Nobody; 02-06-2016 at 07:12 AM.. Reason: more to add
Old 02-08-2016, 06:20 AM
Contributing Member

Make sure you buy a corded model, the battery powered dremels generally suck.