Go Back   BigEvil Online > BigEvilOnline Forums > Paintball News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Paintball News Get the latest paintball scuttlebutt here.

Old 10-08-2012, 11:01 AM
Contributing Member

Default Right to re-sell could be in jeopardy...

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/you...ril-2012-10-04

This would be a killer for our economy...

Quote:
In August 2011, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit upheld a lower court’s ruling that anything that was manufactured overseas is not subject to the first-sale principle. Only American-made products or “copies manufactured domestically” were.

...if the Supreme Court upholds an appellate court ruling, it would mean that the copyright holders of anything you own that has been made in China, Japan or Europe, for example, would have to give you permission to sell it.

...a decision in favor of the lower court would lead to some strange, even absurd consequences. For example, it could become an incentive for manufacturers to have everything produced overseas because they would be able to control every resale.

It could also become a weighty issue for auto trade-ins and resales, considering about 40% of most U.S.-made cars carry technology and parts that were made overseas.
Old 10-08-2012, 02:23 PM
Contributing Member

I can't see that the court will uphold this.

First off it would be nearly impossible to enforce.

Secondly...they then have to try and decide what to do about all the items that have already been sold by the original buyer.

Third off I suspect this is being pushed by foreign laws and they will decide that Americans cannot be held to foreign laws on something that was purchased in the US, kept in the US, and owned by US citizens who have not been under the authority of those foreign laws.

Finally it sounds like the company who is sewing the fellow are being punks about this. They sell the books cheeper in a foreign nation and jack the prices up here just because they know they can get it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-08-2012, 05:55 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wetwrks View Post

Finally it sounds like the company who is sewing the fellow are being punks about this. They sell the books cheeper in a foreign nation and jack the prices up here just because they know they can get it.
This...

People do this every day on the currency exchanges (look up "arbitrage"). I applaud the kid for being smart about his purchases.
Old 10-08-2012, 06:48 PM
Contributing Member

Sit down and think about everything that is made outside the country and sold and resold here. There is no way they will uphold this and if they do the House and Senate will change the laws.

Cars (a huge one for resales)
Firearms
clothing/shoes/purses (garage sales)
electronics
furnature
dishes
clocks/watches
cell phones
paintball goods
gold/silver/platinum coins
DVDs CDs Video games
Toys (garage sales)
Tools (huge pawn shop item)
The list goes on and on.

This is all about the manufacturer trying to make it difficult on the fellow and trying to bankrupt him and get him to sign a document stating he won't do this any more in a settlement.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-08-2012, 08:15 PM

i see this as a result from companies that can't get people to buy their products, or not in the number versus what can be sold by overseas companies, thus they are trying to get a bite at the apple, twice.

the simple thing to do is to stop(or tax the shit out of thus making the cheap copy no longer cheaper than the same domestic product) the influx of overseas copies/products. you have to be firm in the belief that they will buckle first, they needing our money more than we need their products, versus cowering to the cheap dollar for the cheap product.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:46 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobody View Post
i see this as a result from companies that can't get people to buy their products, or not in the number versus what can be sold by overseas companies, thus they are trying to get a bite at the apple, twice.

the simple thing to do is to stop(or tax the shit out of thus making the cheap copy no longer cheaper than the same domestic product) the influx of overseas copies/products. you have to be firm in the belief that they will buckle first, they needing our money more than we need their products, versus cowering to the cheap dollar for the cheap product.
Actually this is just a greedy company (and keep in mind I am pro companies). It is 1 company that is selling cheep in another country and selling the exact same item here for more. Basically they are selling based on the wealth of the buyers. They just don't like that someone figured out that they can make a profit off their product. They just need to get over it.

Old 10-08-2012, 10:40 PM
Contributing Member

waste of space in our heads , the odds of this happening , is about the same as them gettin my ammo from me , there is only one way they get that & I dip all my bullets in pig blood
Old 10-09-2012, 02:58 PM
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maniacmechanic View Post
waste of space in our heads , the odds of this happening , is about the same as them gettin my ammo from me , there is only one way they get that & I dip all my bullets in pig blood
There were a lot of people saying the same thing about health care...
Old 10-13-2012, 09:23 PM
Hebrews 13:8

Quote:
Originally Posted by maniacmechanic View Post

I dont think you have to worry about muslims in Port St Lucia.

Just people calling 911 three times because Mickey D's is out of chicken nuggets.

But back to the subject, this law would kill sales from out of the states.

Who would want to buy something they dont own and cant resell.

I mean time shares arent real, are they ?

Old 10-14-2012, 12:11 PM
Contributing Member

I'm filling up some space , started lookin into this a little more , this is a 3 year old art about the EU & Canada workin on a FSP deal ;
http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2...ciple-for-art/
And after thinkin more about it , I can see where the TAX folks would go right along with this ; If the Resale could be controlled , couldn't it be taxed again , the 2nd , 3rd , 4th , ect' owners could get taxed as well as paying the " copyright fees "
If our Supreme court get's a hold of this who knows what would happen